Friday, September 2, 2022

September 2 Update

 Dear McCall Parents and Caregivers,

 

I hope everyone is doing well as we head into another start to the school year.  My backyard is adjacent to a field that serves as a summer camp for livestock.  That is, the property owner rents it out to livestock owners during the summer for the animals to graze on the grass that they grow on that land.  This is what we have been seeing from our backyard since May.  Three weeks ago, there was a knock on our door in the middle of a hot Sunday afternoon.  It was the owner of the cows that have been attending “cow summer camp”, and she informed us of this news.  The animal was quickly located and returned to where it was supposed to be, so there was no need for Missing Cow posters to be plastered all over town.

 

I share this with you because this was a notable event in an otherwise low-key summer for me.  I also share this news with you because corralling a wayward cow seems strangely similar to the work ahead of us this year.  I would like our focus for the 22-23 school year to be on getting back to those important things that have gotten away from us during these past two incredibly difficult school years.  I am hopeful that with the pandemic behind us, we can get back to the place where we enjoy learning, teaching, and being with each other in-person.  I can see looking out past my backyard that the four cows are back enjoying their last few weeks of their summer camp.  I am grateful that they have returned to the place they belong, and all of the students are back where they belong enjoying what McCall has to offer.


Thank you,


James Lin

Principal

McCall Middle School